Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Spiritual Growth through Engaging in Healthy Eating

I can remember years where I used food to numb out. I walked around feeling tired, unable to look people in the eyes, irritable and overall, very lost. I didn't feel passionate about anything because I didn't FEEL. I covered up all my feelings by starving myself or binging on toxic foods so that I didn't have to feel the things that were coming up for me in my life. After I sought support and learned about my eating disorder, I learned about what I was trying to cover up. I began eating a clean and healthy diet and practicing yoga. Instead of covering up how I felt, I learned to release my emotions and seek support. Most importantly, I learned how to get outside of my self centeredness and help others. What a concept!! In moments where I was having a hard time, I reached out and started doing things for others in need. Immediately, I felt better.....every time! Because I was no longer disgusted with myself, I could engage and connect with other people. My growth showed up in every area of my life and I felt more alive.

I know for a fact, in my own experience, that I feel the benefits of eating a plant based diet in that I feel alive and full of energy. Our bodies take in the light from the plants that are stored from the sunlight in their leaves and the nutrients from depths of the earth. Over a period of time, we can truly get that feeling of being "grounded" and "light" through the plant based foods we consume.

Today, I am grateful for my life and all it has to offer. Through my willingness to grow spiritually and consume a diet that is high in Living plant based foods, I am providing my body with what it needs to stay connected to the universe and my purpose. I show up and I share what I have learned through the adversity I experienced and I allow others to heal themselves through these teachings.

What an incredible gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment