Sunday, December 30, 2012

Watch Your Thoughts, They Become Your Reality

Day 3 of "10 Days of Namaste Giving"

 Watch Your Thoughts, They Become Your Created Reality

 At one time or another, we have all probably said or thought to ourselves "I'm having such a bad day". You could probably even say that it's a normal every day occurrence to hear it at least once a day somewhere along the way. I probably never noticed it years ago, before I was on the path that I am on now, but it seems to stand out to me now when I
 come across it.

 So what, who cares....you may be thinking. This isn't very profound. I beg to differ though. Here's the thing, the thoughts create the words and then the reality. A client walked into the studio recently and said "this was a really bad day, I really need my yoga today". I said, wow, the ENTIRE day. Yes, I spilled coffee on myself in the car on the way to work and then it was just one thing after another all day".

 So, here is what i'm wondering.....after the coffee spilled and the thought was that this was the beginning of a bad day, could that thought and then those words have created the reality of the rest of the day? I didn't get into a deeper discussion about it, but it prompted me to start thinking about this phenomenon. Could it be that walking around behaving in a way like you are having a bad day just increases the likelihood of you having a bad day. My response to my own question, (without sounding abrupt), is obviously, yes!

 I was reading this cool study recently which proves this exact thing. This study was specifically about how acting like you are in love can lead to the real thing.

 The 100 volunteers, taking part in the study in Edinburgh, were encouraged to hold hands, gaze into each other's eyes, and whisper secrets to each other.

When questioned at the end on their feelings, 45 per cent of those who had 'acted in love' wanted to see each other again.

 'Couples' were asked to make eye contact, smile a lot, and whisper secrets, which led to real fledgeling relationships

A Professor helping to conduct the research said "Just as people feel happier when they force their face into a smile, so pairs of people behaving as if they find one another attractive became emotionally close"

 So, it's the action that causes the emotion as much as the emotion causes the action. So, flip it over. Instead of feeling like your day stinks and walking around with that emotion, which is sure to cause that result, take the action that causes you to feel happy. After you spill coffee, you can still walk into work with a huge smile on your face and walk up to the first person you see and greet them in a way that can make an imprint on their entire day!

 I was feeling uninspired recently, and kind of lonely too. Within one hour, I had spoken to someone at Habitat for Humanity and created a community event for people to build a house together. Within 3 days 15 people signed   up ;-)     If I wallowed in loneliness, I was sure to feel that way the rest of the day.

 Can you relate to this or did it prompt something you would like to share? then, email and Share with Lauren here

 NAMASTE

No comments:

Post a Comment